Viruses are the order of the day and now the security company Kaspersky discovered a new virus that attacks Android devices.
According to Dmitry Bestuzhev, director of the Research and Analysis Team for Kaspersky Lab Latin America, so far the virus has spread mainly in Latin America, hurting especially phones in Mexico, Brazil, Chile, Panama and Peru. In addition, Mexico is the fourth country in the world to become infected with this type of Trojan, but with the ease of moving around the world network, we do not doubt that it will soon appear in our country.
Loapi spreads through ads that pretend to be antivirus or applications for adults, and experts say it has a very complex architecture. Once installed, it asks for the administrator's rights to take control of the device and thus be able to install modules that affect different functions of the phone.
What does this virus do to my phone?
The malicious actions that this virus can perform are:
- Allows the reception of invasive advertising.
- Controls text messages.
- Subscribes to payment services via SMS without leaving a trace.
- Allows carrying out DDoS attacks that flood a site with junk traffic until it can no longer receive visits.
- Use phone resources such as energy and internet connection to create coin purse, a cryptocurrency.
This complex virus also eliminates its enemies. If you find a dedicated application to get rid of malware, it will send you fake messages ensuring that the app has a malicious software and will ask you to delete it.
If you refuse to do so, it will increase the number of ads until you finish deleting them.
Nikita Buchka, security expert at Kaspersky Lab says that this virus is a kind of all-terrain, “Loapi has incorporated almost all the possible features in its design to be able to use it for different types of malicious activity with the intention of making illegal money."
Buchka says that although the virus does not have the ability to access credit card data, it "can destroy the phone" because it dominates all its functions, leaving it inoperative.
During tests to detect the attack capacity of this virus, Kaspersky Lab found that it also generates a workload so large that the terminal warms up and deforms the battery.
How to prevent your phone from being contaminated with this virus?
According to Kaspersky Lab, once your phone has been infected it is very complicated to eliminate the virus, because if you try to recover the administration rights of your phone, Loapi blocks the screen of the device and closes the window, therefore, there is no better cure than prevention.
Here are some tips to protect your phone:
- Disable the option that lets you install applications automatically.
- Be sure you have the latest version of your operating system, as companies continuously implement improvements to reduce vulnerabilities.
- And, if plane, your phone has been infected, it is best to install an antivirus of a recognized brand that offers guarantees.
While there is still no way to eliminate the virus, it is best to protect yourself and be careful, so follow our tips can help you take care of your phone attacks of this destructive virus.